Thursday, March 19, 2009

Airbound!

Mark here. It's now 11:30 on Thursday night (US Time), and I'm sitting in an airplane on the way the PI. I'll be typing my thoughts onto a word processing program, then posting once I get to a wi-fi spot or internet cafe.

The plane took off about an hour and ten minutes after the scheduled departure time (which I suppose, is "on time" in Filipino Time). I was amazed at how quickly and easily we got through the screening process. It was fast and efficient. Not at all what I expected post 9/11.

Anyway ... I'm trying not to fall asleep because I want to adjust to Philippine Time. As we sat in the airport and again on the plane waiting to take off, Regina and I kept telling each other how surreal this all felt. We've been imagining this moment for so long that it almost seems like a dream that we are actually sitting on a plane to get Camille.

Leaving the kids behind was difficult. As expected, Reg, Lauren and my mom all got teary eyed. We called home right before we boarded the plane. Reg spoke to all the kids, and Daniel was already crying to her, telling her how much he missed us. It's going a be a looooonnnnggg two weeks for the kids, since they've never ever been away from the two of us for more than 24 hours straight. And because Reg is a stay at home mom, the kids are basically attached to her hip. So, needless to say, this will be a difficult challenge for Reg as well.

Well ... I better go. The flight attendants are getting ready to serve us our first meal! Our choices are Chicken Teriyaki or Pork Bikol Express. I think I'll have the Pork. Mmmm.

OK, I'm back. I think I'm going to gain fifteen pounds on this trip because I ate my entire airplane meal AND half of Regina's. I see a trend starting.

Anyway, we've been on the plan for about nine hours ... so in seven hours or so, we should land be in Manila. This flight is a lot longer than our usual flings to Vegas or San Fran. The movies they've showed so far are Madagascar, The Day the Earth Stood Still, that Deniro-Pacino flick which got horrible reviews, and a sitcom wth Christina Applegate. What ever happened to the classics, like "There's Something About Mary", "My Cousin Vinny" or "Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle"?

OK, they movie chooser just redeemed himself. They are now showing "Changeling", the most under-appreciated movie of 2008.

We just landed! We're safe. We'll post more when we get settled.

1 comment: